Image by Katarina Šikuljak
Struggling with your digestion? Think you have IBS? According to Ayurveda there are several types of IBS. If you're unsure of your IBS type then you can take the Ayurvedic IBS Type test. Here is your low-down on Kapha-IBS.
Cause: Agni is diminished by an excess of the cold, heavy + dull qualities
Qualities accumulate, or are held, in the fat cells + endrocine system (metabolic tissues)
Most aggravating foods:
- cold dairy
- yoghurt (dairy, coyo or almond)
- cheese (dairy or vegan/cashew)
- mayonnaise (whole egg or vegan)
- red meat
- artificial sweeteners (#202, malitol, xylitol, stevia)
- low quality oils (eg. palm, corn or safflower)
- heated oils (which turn rancid)
- tinned food
- fried food
- fast food
Most aggravating food habits:
- eating when not hungry (including breakfast)
- sleeping immediately after eating
Most aggravating emotions:
Most aggravating spiritual habit
TO RESTORE KAPHA-RELATED DISTURBANCE TO AGNI
- Warm light foods (eg. steamed vegetables, poached fruit)
- Fresh vegetables
- Bitter greens
- Green mung beans
- Pre-soaked legumes
- Favour fish over white or red meat
- Favour lean cuts over fatty cuts of meat
- Alkalising foods
- Dandeloin tea
- Cumin, ginger (dry + fresh), pepper, turmeric, paprika
- Non-dairy milks (almond is best)
- Citrus (eat as a snack before main meal, do not combine with meats)*
- Freshly prepared foods
- Plus many more - variety is the key, most important is the quality (warm, light + fresh)
- Eat in company
- Skip meals if not hungry
- Have lunch as your main meal
- Heated yoga
- Faster paced exercise
- Exercise outside
- Heating breathwork
Most healing practice
- Stop what it is in this list that you are doing!!!
It's hard. They're habits. But stop. We mean it. You need to break the self-sabotage link. You are worth more. Ayurveda says unless you eliminate the cause you cannot heal your gut.
If nothing on this list sounds like you, then write a list of the thing(s) you do e-v-e-r-y-d-a-y. The foods or food habits you are attached to. That is what a-c-c-u-m-u-l-a-t-e-s. Accumulation = the first stage of dis-ease.
Trikatu is the best Ayurvedic formulation for Kapha IBS. It fuels, reboots and bring power to agni and your metabolism.
*Ayurveda has A LOT to say about 'proper' food pairing. We will be writing a note soon.
If you could do with a reset we’d love to see in our Adelaide Ayurveda clinic. ✨
MA // MODERN AYURVEDIC TM
Like this notebook entry?
Or comment so we know to give you more like this.